Alexandria's founded by Alexander

Alexandria's founded by Alexander the Great (by year BC): 334 Alexandria in Troia (Turkey) - 333 Alexandria at Issus/Alexandrette (Iskenderun, Turkey) - 332 Alexandria of Caria/by the Latmos (Alinda, Turkey) - 331 Alexandria Mygdoniae - 331 Alexandria (Egypt) - 330 Alexandria Ariana (Herat, Afghanistan) - 330 Alexandria of the Prophthasia/in Dragiana/Phrada (Farah, Afghanistan) - 330 Alexandria in Arachosia (Kandahar, Afghanistan) - 330 Alexandria in the Caucasus (Begram, Afghanistan) - 329 Alexandria of the Paropanisades (Ghazni, Afghanistan) - 329 Alexandria Eschate or Ultima (Khodjend, Tajikistan) - 329 Alexandria on the Oxus (Termez, Afghanistan) - 328 Alexandria in Margiana (Merv, Turkmenistan) - 326 Alexandria Nicaea (on the Hydaspes, India) - 326 Alexandria Bucephala (on the Hydaspes, India) - 325 Alexandria Sogdia - 325 Alexandria Oreitide - 325 Alexandria in Opiene / Alexandria on the Indus (confluence of Indus & Acesines, India) - 325 Alexandria Rambacia (Bela, Pakistan) - 325 Alexandria Xylinepolis (Patala, India) - 325 Alexandria in Carminia (Gulashkird, Iran) - 324 Alexandria-on-the-Tigris/Antiochia-in-Susiana/Charax (Spasinou Charax on the Tigris, Iraq) - ?Alexandria of Carmahle? (Kahnu)

Friday, September 28, 2012

Derebucak, a new discovery in Turkey

One of my favorite TV programs is still Zor Yollar that airs every week on TRT Tϋrk and there are times the landscape and sites cannot entice me, but this week was different. The group of adventurous guides and archaeologists went to Urϋnlϋ, a place above Antalya I didn’t know and where they showed a house with intriguing walls made of stone alternated with wooden pegs.

From there they drove into a National Forest whose treasure was a turquoise blue pool that tunneled in and out of a greater lake. I was lucky enough to find some pictures to illustrate what I saw here.


After that the 4x4 cars drove on to Derebucak that I also had to look up on a map and that is located further north just inside the borders of the province of Konya.
        
Here I really got excited for they took me to a Roman road. It is always an amazing and exciting event to discover a stretch of antique road running in the middle of nowhere and it definitely was not easy to see (click here for location on the map) it in the landscape even. Eye catcher were the stairs! My goodness, what a road that must have been! My knowledge of the language still falls short in those precious moments but I understood that even Apostle Paul had walked here on his way to or from Perge.

Well, I have a couple of new places to add to my sightseeing list next time I’ll visit the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment